Another Busy Week
Editors Note: I have found the easiest way to get the pictures from my phone to the blog page is to select and email directly to the blog. Technically I could write the entire post and send it. It shows up as a draft post and I can edit it and publish from there. I tried this several times with the last post "Busy Week" and received several error messages from gmail. I then wrote the post and dragged the pictures from my sent email. Seemed to work. I received the email yesterday (I follow too so I can be sure things work properly) and there were no pictures. I logged in to the blog and they appeared there. Strange. So I am re-creating the post with this note. Please excuse if it is a duplicate and you all received the first with pictures intact.
It was a productive week. We mowed everything except the rough. For the greens it was the first since aerifying. That was only possible because we were closed. Usually we maintain for playability. As it turned out, the week after aeration it rained or was wet so rolling or brushing was impractical. With little options we simply let them grow for over two weeks. It took that long since the sun never came out and temps dropped. This is why we try to aerate while the plant is actively growing. The turf heals faster making the disruption to playability much less. Dodged a bullet there being closed.
We were finally able to remove the tree that blew over last summer on 9 tee. I was hoping to replant it somewhere but it was just too large so we had to cut it up.
We were able to roll the greens for a second time after aerifying, early in the week before the mowing mentioned above. Notice the freshly mowed fairway in the picture of 5 below. Also the skid marks from the neighborhood kids. I am not sure I want to see these miscreants get older and start driving. Hopefully they find other places to misbehave.
Another part of being closed is we do not need directional signs on the course. This speeds up our mowing a lot. Getting on and off the mowers to pick up and then put back: signs, tee markers, bunker rakes adds time and makes us less efficient. It would be great to not have some of these things in the post shut down world. They have a substantial cost when you think about it: initial purchase, annual maintenance, the time they add to mowing. It all adds up. Reminds me of the line where I tell people at least half my job is being a traffic cop. Foot traffic can wear out turf as well but nowhere near as much carts. Such is life in the modern game.
When we are not mowing, fixing irrigation or cleaning up sections of the course we have started to aerify and seed some of the weak green and tee surrounds to try and improve them. Most of these are high traffic areas so hopefully we can get them improved and healthy before we open back up.
It was a productive week. We mowed everything except the rough. For the greens it was the first since aerifying. That was only possible because we were closed. Usually we maintain for playability. As it turned out, the week after aeration it rained or was wet so rolling or brushing was impractical. With little options we simply let them grow for over two weeks. It took that long since the sun never came out and temps dropped. This is why we try to aerate while the plant is actively growing. The turf heals faster making the disruption to playability much less. Dodged a bullet there being closed.
We were finally able to remove the tree that blew over last summer on 9 tee. I was hoping to replant it somewhere but it was just too large so we had to cut it up.
![]() |
| Tree Stump |
![]() |
| Harry and the new view |
![]() |
| Harry and Mike mowing 1 Fwy for the first time |
![]() |
| Harry investigating the swamp on 18 |
![]() |
| 5 bicycle tracks |
![]() |
| Mike spritzing up the bench for the putting green |
![]() |
| Willow sure sign of Spring |
![]() |
| 1st tee Daffodils More Spring |
![]() |
| Directional signs brought in for cleaning |
![]() |
| Cleaned signs and tee markers back in storage |
When we are not mowing, fixing irrigation or cleaning up sections of the course we have started to aerify and seed some of the weak green and tee surrounds to try and improve them. Most of these are high traffic areas so hopefully we can get them improved and healthy before we open back up.
![]() |
| 18, 8, 9 green surrounds |











Comments
Post a Comment