Many of you may have met Mike's Dad Phil. He passed away a couple of weeks ago and on the day of his funeral Mike and his family had the reception at the club. It was a windy day and maybe you will think it a coincidence that the flag pole blew down. It sure felt like something more in the moment. Phil was very proud of his Navy service and his country. It would have been the perfect nudge to this realm.
 |
| RIP Phil |
 |
| Was it just the wind? |
This Summer Mike would often bring his dad back to the course after lunch. Phil had lost his license after about 78 years of driving so it was quite a blow but a heck of a good run. I would use the time to let him take me on a tour of the course. I would say "let's go see what Michael is up to!" and often with their dog Harry in tow we would go for a tour. I would get the pleasure of listening to some of Phil's best stories whether from his youth in Iowa or his many travels as a salesman. Of course there were plenty of yarns about his time in the Navy.
Being a bit older myself now, I relished every moment of it. I only had one grand parent growing up and was too young and impatient to enjoy my grandfather's stories. Probably the only regret I have allowed myself to live with all these years later. I will forever cherish my first season here at Cape Cod CC. Mostly because I had the fortune to meet and spend some time with Mr VanCleave.
Comments
Post a Comment