Culture, Habits, Education

As my first season at CCCC comes to a close I find myself reflecting back on the year. Maybe normal for most of you. I have always used it as a tool to take stock of the programs we implemented and see what worked and what did not. I won't say I was timid in my approach but I was more cautious and observant. I used this change of locations as a sort of self help exercise. I tried to shed some unwanted habits and try and grow a bit personally and professionally. Coming in and kicking doors down doesn't really suit my personality anyway. On to the title:
Culture. As defined on the internet:"the customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social group. Caribbean Culture."
So what the heck does that have to do with turf maintenance? Every club whether it be a gym, gun, poker or golf club has a culture. It may not be intentional or something people think much about but it is a vital part of any organization. It is palpable. The question is what kind is it? Good or Bad? The main part of a culture that affects the turf is how it relates to etiquette. You know the first pages in the rules of golf? Yup, the same old song from your Superintendent. Ball marks, Bunkers, Divots etc. But today's post will focus on Carts. Almost every course has issues with carts. They are an abomination on society according to some. Lifeblood of the operation to others. I will leave that debate alone for now and try to explain my philosophy on how to live harmoniously with them. I tell people over 50% of my job is being a traffic cop. Repeated traffic wears out turf. Read that last line over again. Doesn't matter whether foot or cart. Courses with caddies have trails all over the place where the caddies take short cuts. Where does every single player end up on every hole? The cup. Why do we move the cup? To spread the wear. If we could put it in the middle of every green in the spring and leave it there trust me we would. I mean who doesn't love the regular conversation about "unfair" pin placements?
The first job of any Superintendent is to train his or her staff about traffic and habits. Most courses have maintenance roads or shortcuts, but what about the rest of the course? Where should they drive? Golfers are human. Another debate we will save for another time. As humans they can be smart, not so smart and downright foolish. We are easily influenced, especially when it comes to chasing that little white ball. I have played in more golf tournaments than I can count and watched the shotgun start parade of carts head out onto the course. Even professional Keepers of the Green that know where to drive all follow each other into areas they would fume at if on their own properties. One of my old bosses used to say he swore it was something they put into golf shoes. As soon as anyone puts them on they turn into idiots. We on the staff are the line leaders every day. We set the first tracks. Once a set of tracks goes into a spot it shouldn't the lemmings behind will follow. Some people are very conscientious and want to do the right thing looking for signs to direct them. Others look at a set of tracks and think it must be OK to drive there. We need to set a good example every day. That is where Habits come into the picture. Speaking of pictures. The one below was just last week and too perfect to pass up. I mean just look at how brazen this example is: 


18th hole What NOT to do.
Look closely in the bottom 1/3rd you can see the 3 cart signs. They direct you to the cart path on the right. The color change is not photo shopped. The lack of carts (mostly) has allowed the creeping bentgrass to thrive. For those new to CCCC 18 is very steep so carts spin out and do a lot of damage, not to mention it is a safety risk to drive on these steep hills. That is the reason for the cart signs so far down the hole. This person has clearly said "I am more important than the rest of you" and do not need to obey cart rules. Was it an infamous blue flag? Does not matter. My preferred pattern would be to come in from the side of the path as a 90 degree rule. Looks as though they hit it to the middle of the fairway. Why couldn't they go up the path then over, hit and then return to the path? Culture. Education. I will use this blog and now begin training in person the 90 degree rule to all our staff and players. Greens staff training starts the same way and is the same message: Do not set a bad example. I am all for the person needing to get closer to their ball or work they may be performing. That does not give you a hall pass to drive wherever you want. Be sneaky. Hide your tracks so the next person doesn't blindly follow them. Never drive straight up a hole inside the signs. Here is a google earth picture of the third hole illustrating what I mean:

3rd hole. go in and out. Not straight through
The culture of a place can be changed. People can be educated and then understand the consequences of their actions. Most people want to do the right thing. With education we can develop good habits and the turf and culture will be better for it.

Comments